- Photoshop – image creation and editing program
- Illustrator – vector drawing program
- Inkscape – vector drawing program
- Paint.NET – photoshop-like program
- Gimp – photoshop-like program
- Art Rage – realistic art painting, oils, chalk, etc. (an earlier version is offered for free)
- Picasa – free photo editing program
- Sketchbook – drawing program for desktop, tablet, or mobile
- Convert My Image – online conversion site
- Pixlr – photo editing tool for desktop or mobile
- COLOURlovers – design program full of free pattern templates
- PicMonkey – edit your own photos, or use their clipart and text to make something brand new
- Vectortuts Beginners Guide – beginners guide to preparing a basic vector file for digital textile printing using Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Vectortuts Directory – directory of many many Photoshop and Illustrator tutorials
- Design Sponge – seamless repeat tutorial
- Digital Arts – pattern design tips and inspiration for digital creatives
- Spoonflower Handbook
- A Field Guide to Fabric Design
- Adobe Photoshop for Textile Design
- Digital Textile Design
- Mastering the Art of Digital Textile Design
- Creative Commons (http://www.creativecommons.org) is an organization devoted to promoting the sharing and use of creative materials legally. It offers a search tool that allows people to find images with licenses that specially allow the re-use of images for personal use and, in some cases, commercial use. In all cases, however, be sure to credit your source and artist.
- Getty Art Collection (http://www.getty.edu/art/collection/) offers thousands of images available for personal use from the J. Paul Getty Museum.
- The Libraries and Information Services at Columbia University offer a web page with very good, basic overview of copyright as it relates to art and design.